I am still feeling really uninspired at the moment so I had a look online for some journal prompts to inspire my writing of this blog.
The problem is that for someone like me with ADHD (self diagnosed :P) is that I then spent about 30mins reading through all the possible prompts on about 20 different websites; deciding that each prompt and suggestion wasn’t appropriate/I wasn’t in the mood to write about that particular subject.
So, yeah, perhaps journal prompts aren’t for me and this blog needs to be more natural and not forced…Just stuff I feel like writing about when the mood so takes me.
AND If this means I don’t write anything for days then so be it.
However, with all that being said I did actually find a journal prompt site that did have some good ones on. These were on discobumblebee.com and were on the subject of depression and anxiety.
I guess in these difficult times of self isolation and self distancing journalling might be a good idea. Even if you don’t normally suffer with depression and anxiety, you probably are experiencing it at the moment.
It’s actually a great opportunity for everyone, because we all need a little help with our mental health, especially now. Journaling can give perspective, perhaps. Anyway, it seems like a good place to start to think about what we have to be grateful for; even though this whole situation is really pretty sh*t – we are human so we have to have hope.
So here is my first ‘successful’ attempt at a post inspired by a journal prompt:
‘List 20 things that make you smile’
- Cwtches with my doggie siblings
- Creme eggs
- Rolo yoghurts
- Starting a new book (actual books preferable over Kindle books)
- Buying new books (many kindle book buying binges have already occurred during lock down!)
- Listening to audio books while running (especially thrillers)
- Matt Haig’s books/quotes/audiobooks/insta/twitter posts
- Travelling (preferably on planes but trains and boats are cool too. Not a fan of buses or taxis!)
- Long walks/hikes in the mountain or by the coast
- New shoes (specifically those with make me look like a gangsta)
- Phone calls with my parents
- Voice mail conversations with my friends in far flung countries
- Decaf coconut lattes (specifically from Pret on the Uni campus)
- Astronomy themed clothing
- Dancing (kitchen dancing will have to do for now!)
- Dead lifts (#GetThemGains)
- Singing/ rapping (specifically to Lady Gaga, Eminem or the Greatest Showman soundtrack)
- Roller derby (I miss my lovely roller wenches :/)
- Looking at the sky/stars/moon