Another journal prompt inspired post…
What’s the next step you’ve been thinking about taking, for far too long?
Hmmm, this is a toughy…
I have lots of next steps I think I should be taking…but for me it’s hard to disentangle whether they come from ME…
Do I actually, truly want to do these next steps or are they are something that other people/society dictates that I should want…
Because I am female and 35 and been in the same job for 9 years, have a small flat…
maybe I should be wanting kids and a promotion and a bigger house
but, I’m not entirely sure about this…I don’t think I want any of that if I am honest with myself.
For me I guess the problem is I know pretty well now what I don’t want in life…I just don’t know what I do want.
What do I want? ergh.
and like Matt Haig says the act of wanting something you don’t have just shows there is a void.
But is there really a void?
Maybe not, I don’t feel like there is a void in my life…so maybe that truly does mean I don’t WANT any of those things.
Am I lesser human being because I don’t wan’t those things?
I don’t think so. But it still doesn’t help me with what I do want.
If I am truly happy with where I am now in life then maybe the next step is just to try to grow and improve in small ways…and take small steps
to keep on learning and be positive
But Vex King says you always have a goal to work toward.
but I really struggle with ‘thinking big’ or long term.
So I guess my next steps will indeed just have to mini steps.
I’ll list my intentions for a year from today below:
Next steps to take by 1st July 2021
- Finish Creative writing course and start to write first fiction novel.
- Complete an Olympic distance triathlon and train with the Triathlon club as soon as I can 😛
- Keep up my Spanish learning – at least an hour a week.
- Save money for future travel adventures (hopefully more South America/Spanish speaking countries).
- Get drafted for a B Team Roller Derby Game.
- Don’t buy any more books; read the many hundreds I already have!
- Be open to a romantic relationship and try not to be cynical about love and put up defences to such things.